Friday, March 1, 2013

About That Memory...


Whatever happened to Broccoli Cheese Soup?



Sometimes a good memory should stay just that, a good memory. Trying to recreate a memory can lead to disappointment. And so it was with the memory of sharing a lunch of homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup with RL's mom, Irene, my mother-in-law. Why did that soup come up in conversation recently? I don't know, it wasn't one of her specialties that we remember particularly. Whatever the reason, I thought of Irene and that soup when I had bags of broccoli in the fridge today. I used a recipe from Cooks' Illustrated and followed it to the letter.



That alone should have guaranteed success. The soup was palatable, "perfectly adequate" and all that, but neither of us care to eat it again, not ever. Drum roll please, while I officially remove Broccoli Cheese Soup from my list of soups to prepare. We'll still keep our fond memories of meals with Irene, but without any broccoli soup connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments so please leave a friendly note. Comments are moderated so it may take a while to appear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...